Gifts of Stock and Appreciated Assets
How It Works
- You transfer appreciated stocks, bonds, or mutual fund shares you have owned for more than one year to the Harvard Varsity Club.
- The Harvard Varsity Club sells your securities and uses the proceeds for its programs.
- You can use our Stock Transfer Form to facilitate the gift.
- You receive an immediate income tax deduction for the fair market value of the securities on the date of transfer, no matter what you originally paid for them.
- You pay no capital gains tax on the transfer when the stock is sold.
- Giving appreciated stock could be more beneficial than giving cash.
Interested in learning more about the Harvard Varsity Club’s 1886 Society? Contact us.
Home || 1886 Society || Gifts Anyone Can Make || Contact usThe purpose of this website is to provide general gift, estate, and financial planning information. Watch for tax revisions. State laws govern wills, trusts, and charitable gifts made in a contractual agreement. Advice from legal counsel should be sought when considering these types of gifts.