Clinical Research Assistant
Hospital for Special Surgery
We are recruiting a graduating senior (preferably on the medical school track) to work with Dr. Mark C. Drakos '98, an orthopedic surgeon specializing in sports medicine and injuries of the foot and ankle. Applicants should be available to commit to employment for one year beginning in June. A two-year position may also be possible. Research experience is appreciated, but not required. This is a full-time, paid position.
- Work closely with Dr. Drakos to meet project goals and deadlines as assigned
- Draft abstracts and presentations for annual academic conferences
- Prepare and draft manuscripts for publication in medical journals
- Prepare and submit study materials to the Institutional Review Board (IRB)
- Interact directly with patients in clinic, over the phone, and via email to collect data
- Prepare regular reports on study progress for PI, sponsors, or supervisor as requested
- Organize and maintain all files and documents related to the study/project
- Attendance of research meetings and education sessions
- Competence with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Excellent writing and interpersonal skills
- Basic competency in statistics and associated programs is helpful
Our ideal applicant is an energetic student interested in orthopedics, looking to gain research experience in academic medicine as they start their medical career. A successful applicant will also be well-organized, flexible with evolving responsibilities of the job, and possess strong interpersonal skills.
This is an excellent opportunity for a student taking a gap year prior to medical school. There is ample opportunity to gain clinical experience through shadowing during surgeries and clinic visits, as well as to complete research projects and publish resulting papers.
To apply, please email the following materials to Oliver Hansen '19—firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Current resume (one page)
- Unofficial transcript
- Cover letter
Applicants will be contacted for interviews following initial review of their application materials. All interested applicants should apply by April 15, 2021. Interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis.