Business of Home
Business of Home is a news organization for the interior design industry, with a daily news site, quarterly print magazine, podcasts, job board and events calendar, educational workshop series, and annual flagship conference. Our focus is business news and analysis for working design professionals, as well as providing general guidance and advice for running a creative business.
We are looking for an Editorial Assistant to join our editorial team and assist with reporting and production of daily online news, quarterly print magazine and biannual guides to High Point Market, and to manage the brand’s social media. Daily duties include story development, writing and interviewing; photo research; and managing BOH’s social media channels. Each quarter, production duties for the print magazine include fact checking, photo/copyright requests and general project management. Additional administrative tasks include updating mailing lists, creating event listings, and ad hoc research and tasks to support the editorial team.
The successful candidate should be a strong writer and editor, as well as comfortable meeting deadlines, asking questions, managing multiple projects, and working under pressure. Interest in interior design is a plus!
This role is currently virtual, with the opportunity to work in BOH’s New York office in the future (projected Fall 2021).
- Contribute 3+ news articles a week to BOH’s daily news vertical, including story research, conducting interviews, writing on deadline, and building articles in the site’s CMS
- Edit and send BOH’s weekly digital newsletter
- Post all content daily on Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn; strategize and post selected articles to Instagram grid; and design, format and post slides to Instagram Stories for all news
- Assist with production of the quarterly magazine and biannual Designer’s Guide to High Point Market, including writing, editing, fact checking and photo research
- Contribute 2+ written pieces to the magazine
- Create digital editions of each magazine a guide in the site’s CMS
- Support the editorial team as needed with story research, article building, etc.
- Light scheduling and correspondence for BOH editor in chief
- Manage and update the website’s events calendar
- Attend and cover industry events as needed
- Concise, creative writing/editing skills
- Familiarity with interior design news publications and websites
- Ability to manage time, prioritize tasks and meet deadlines
- Proficiency in InDesign and Photoshop
- One year reporting and editing experience (internships included), preferably including digital and social media experience
- Undergraduate degree in journalism or a related field
- Proven language and writing skills
- Strong editing skills and visual sensibility
- Online publishing experience and copyediting skills a plus
- Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment, juggle multiple priorities, and meet deadlines
Questions? Reach out to Marina Felix '19 at email@example.com.