Hospital for Special Surgery // Research Assistant
Position: Research Assistant
Location: Hospital for Special Surgery (New York, NY)
We are recruiting a graduating senior (preferably on the medical school track) to work with Dr. Mark C. Drakos, an orthopedic surgeon specializing in sports medicine injuries of the foot and ankle. Applicants should be available to commit to employment for at least 1 year. Research experience is appreciated, but not required. This is a full-time, paid position.
- Work closely with Dr. Drakos to meet project goals and deadlines as assigned
- Prepare and submit study related materials to the Institutional Review Board (IRB), i.e., initial protocol submissions, study amendments, continuing reviews, etc.
- Interact directly with patients in clinic, over the phone, and via email to collect data
- Prepare regular reports on study progress for PI, sponsors, or supervisor as requested
- Organize and maintain all files and documents related to the study/project
- Attendance of research meetings and education sessions as required
- Other duties as requested by Principal Investigator or office supervisor
- Schedule meetings with investigators and other study team members
- Draft abstracts and presentations for annual academic conferences (2-3 per year)
- Prepare and draft manuscripts
- Computer literate: Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Excellent writing, telephone, and interpersonal skills
Our ideal applicant will be an energetic student interested in orthopedics, looking to gain experience conducting research at an academic medicine institution as they start their medical career. A successful applicant will also be well-organized, flexible with evolving responsibilities of the job, and possess strong interpersonal skills.
This is an excellent opportunity for a student taking a gap year prior to medical school. There is ample opportunity to gain both clinical and research experience through shadowing (shadowing opportunities during both surgery and clinical visits) as well as completion of research projects and publications.
To apply, please email a current resume, an unofficial transcript, and a cover letter to:
Taylor Cabe (Harvard ’17), Clinical Research Assistant, and Mark C. Drakos (Harvard ’98), Orthopedic Surgeon Attending
Hospital for Special Surgery
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com
Our Website: https://www.markdrakosmd.com/
Applicants selected to move forward in the application process will be contacted regarding interviews following initial review of their application materials.
All interested applicants should apply no later than May 30th, 2019. Interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis.