2nd-Annual Ben Abercrombie Day at El Jefe’s Taqueria to be Celebrated December 11
- Learn more about the Harvard Varsity Club
- Watch Highlights from 2017 Ben Abercrombie Day
- View Photos from 2017 Ben Abercrombie Day
The second-annual Ben Abercrombie Day will be celebrated at El Jefe’s Taqueria on Tuesday, December 11, with all revenue generated by El Jefe’s over the 20-hour period being donated to The Benson M. Abercrombie ’21 Fund.
Patrons of El Jefe’s Taqueria, located at 83 Mt. Auburn Street in Harvard Square, will be able to contribute to the Abercrombie Fund in one of three ways:
- Every penny that comes through the door of El Jefe’s will be donated directly to the Abercrombie Fund. Patrons will also have the option to add an additional gift to the fund through El Jefe’s Point-Of-Sale terminal.
- Members of the Harvard Varsity Club and Harvard football team will be on site during all 20 hours that El Jefe’s is open (8am-4am) to accept cash donations and gifts made by credit card.
- Gifts can be made online through the Harvard Varsity Club’s website by visiting www.harvardvarsityclub.org/AbercrombieFund.
More than 2,200 members of the Harvard community turned out to celebrate the inaugural Ben Abercrombie Day last year, raising in excess of $27,000 for the Abercrombie Fund including $20,000 in sales donated by El Jefe’s owner, John Schall.
“El Jefe’s is so excited to be hosting the second-annual Ben Abercrombie Day,” commented Schall. “Ben has worked so hard over the last year to build his life anew. I know from being with my little brother over the last 41 years that he’s on a lifelong journey, and El Jefe’s plans on supporting him every step of the way. Let’s blow this fundraiser out of the water on Tuesday, December 11th. I hope to see everyone at El Jefe’s that day.”
“I can’t say enough about John Schall and his tireless team at El Jefe’s,” Bob Glatz ’88, The Broadbent Family Executive Director of the Harvard Varsity Club stated. “We are just starting to see the benefits of their hard work – and the generosity of so many – as the Abercrombie Fund has been able to provide quality-of-life improvements for Ben and his family. We look forward to the day when Ben will return to Harvard Yard as a student again.”
About The Benson M. Abercrombie ’21 Fund
The Harvard Varsity Club (HVC), with support from the Department of Harvard Athletics and Friends of Harvard Football, established The Benson M. Abercrombie ’21 Fund to provide support to the Abercrombie family and any future Harvard undergraduate student-athlete who incurs a severe or catastrophic injury while competing for the Crimson while enrolled in Harvard College. The fund is named in honor of Ben Abercrombie, who suffered a serious cervical injury while making his Harvard football debut at the University of Rhode Island on September 16, 2017.
About the Harvard Varsity Club
The Harvard Varsity Club (HVC) was founded in 1886 under the mission of preserving the traditions, fostering the ideals, and advancing the interests of Harvard Athletics. As ‘Your Team for Life’, the HVC is committed to supporting both current and former Harvard student-athletes in the classroom, on the field, and during their time of need.
To learn more about the Harvard Varsity Club, click here.
-- Your Team for Life --